The area of English offers the Bachelor of Arts degree in English based on a liberal arts curriculum and a multicultural pedagogy. Texts in English courses are generally taught in relation to the cultural contexts that form or inform the texts.
The goals of the English Major are to:
- Prepare students primarily for graduate or advanced study in English and related fields as well as for professional schools;
- Provide a strong foundation for an effective transition into whatever non-English careers the graduate may choose; and
- Develop reading, writing, and speaking skills in English and in one foreign language.
A major in English requires:
- 50 hours in General Education program classes
- 15 hours of free electives
- 9 hours of foreign language beyond GER
- A minimum of 48 semester hours of course work in English.