GAINING EARLY AWARENESS AND READINESS FOR UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS
GEAR UP (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) is a federally funded discretionary grant program designed to increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
GEAR UP provides six-year or seven-year grant to states and partnerships to provide services at high-poverty middle and high schools. GEAR UP grantees serve an entire cohort of students beginning no later than the seventh grade and follow the cohort through high school. GEAR UP funds are also used to provide college scholarships to low-income students.
Voorhees GEAR UP is a comprehensive, research-based project designed to fill gaps in school programs, meet the needs of low-income students and families, raise achievement, improve graduation rates, increase postsecondary enrollment and prepare youth for successful careers and their future roles as productive, adult members of society.
GEAR UP prepares students to be academically, socially, and financially ready to enter and complete a postsecondary program or institution of their choice. GEAR UP’s three objectives are:
- To increase the academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education of participating students.
- To increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in postsecondary education of participating students.
- To increase educational expectations for participating students and increase student and family knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation and financing.
Benefits to Students and Families
- Students receive support through in- class and extended day tutoring and homework assistance, mentoring, and career and college exploration, including postsecondary campus visits.
- Help school improve graduation rates and provide services for students and parents in middle and high school.
- Workshops and seminars will help increase knowledge of postsecondary education, academic preparation and planning, and financial aid and scholarships.
Allendale County School District
Allendale-Fairfax Middle School
Bamberg County School District 1 & 2
Denmark-Olar Middle School
Bamberg-Erhardt Middle School
Calhoun County School District
Sandy Run K-8 School
Saint Matthews K-8 School
Chester County School District
Chester Middle School
Colleton County School District
Colleton County Middle School
Hampton County School District
Estill Middle School
North District Middle School
Orangeburg County School District
Robert E. Howard Middle School
Carver-Edisto Middle School
Williamsburg County School District
Kingstree Middle Magnet School of the Arts
C. E. Murray Middle School
For more information: